2021 Upcoming US EPA and CARB Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Reporting and Verification Deadlines
February 8, 2021
By: Erin Quinn
As 2021 begins, remember that GHG emissions reports required under the USEPA and various California Air Resources Board (CARB) programs will be due over the coming months, as well as GHG emissions report verifications. If your company is required to report GHG emissions to the USEPA or CARB, be sure to get the reports submitted by their deadlines and choose a well-qualified GHG verification body.
- March 31 – US EPA GHG MRR annual GHG reports due for all facilities producing over 25,000 metric tons of CO2e, suppliers of fuels and carbon dioxide.
- April 12 – CARB GHG MRR reporting deadline for all subject facilities and suppliers of fuels and carbon dioxide, except those subject to abbreviated reporting or submitting electric power entity reports.
- June 1 – CARB GHG MRR reporting deadline for abbreviated reporting or for electric power entities.
- August 10 – CARB GHG MRR Final verification statements due for all emission data reports, including emissions, supplier data, and product data for all industry sectors (e.g., general, oil & gas, process, and transactions)
California LCFS – Verification Deadlines
- August 31 – Final verification statements for all LCFS annual report types except for the following report types:
- Fuel Pathway Applications – Validation statement is due within six (6) months of application submission to CARB
- Project Reports – If an entity chooses quarterly reporting over annual, the verification statement is due within five (5) months of each quarterly project report deadline (March 31, June 30, Sept 30, Dec 31)
LCFS Credit Generation Opportunities
- Fuel Pathway credits based on calculated Carbon Intensity and Energy Economy Ratio,
- Project-based, and
- Capacity-based (ZEV infrastructure)
California Cap and Trade Program – Offset Verification
Montrose is an offset verification body for CARB’s cap and trade program and has two experience offset lead verifiers. There are no specific dates for submittal of emission reduction reports or completion of these verification; however, the verification of a submitted emission reduction report must be completed with 11 months of submission.
If your facility or entity needs support with your GHG emissions reporting or LCFS project setup or verification, or offset verification under the Cap and Trade program we have several people that have experience with these regulations, start a conversation with us now. The Montrose GHG reporting and verification team is made up of nine CARB-accredited Lead verifiers with various specialty accreditations located throughout California and the U.S.
Meet our CARB Program Expert
Erin Quinn brings 16 years of environmental consulting experience with 12 years of GHG reporting, verification, and analysis experience. Mr. Quinn developed Montrose’s GHG reporting and verification department in 2010. He has been a CARB Lead Verifier since 2010 and holds CARB verification accreditation as an MRR Lead Verifier (electricity transactions), Offset Lead Verifier (livestock specialty), LCFS Lead Verifier. Mr. Quinn holds a Bachelor of Science Degree in Chemistry from the University of California at Santa Cruz.