The mission of Montrose is to provide our clients and communities with solutions to meet their environmental goals and needs.
Our business success is intrinsically tied to how we sustainably impact the lives of our stakeholders – our clients, our employees, our communities, and our stockholders. As we evaluated how best to initiate the sustainability program at Montrose, our Board and management decided that aligning our internal sustainability goals with United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs) would not only make the greatest impact on solving sustainable development challenges in our society, but also best reflect our corporate strategy to help our clients achieve their environmental goals.
In September 2015, the UN adopted a total of 17 SDGs to drive solutions to overcome global challenges, such as climate change, hunger, poverty, gender equality, as well as others. As a leader in providing environmentally-focused solutions to our clients, we want to make substantial contributions and lasting commitments aligned with UN’s aims.
In our inaugural sustainability assessment, we at Montrose believe these following material ESG areas of our focus are aligned with UN SDGs:
At Montrose, our business is the environment. We succeed when we provide innovative, real-world environmental solutions for our clients, whether providing water treatment or biogas solutions. Through our remediation efforts and innovative technologies, Montrose is treating contaminants in water supplies and eliminating carbon dioxide from our clients’ communities.
Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- Leader in low carbon intensity remediation of contaminants in water supply.
- Treated over 6 billion liters of water to date for our clients.
- 2019 awards from Environmental Business Journal and ALGA for remediation projects.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts:
- Approximately 700,000 tons of carbon dioxide eliminated in 2019 from client communities.
- Launched first carbon footprint analysis in 2019 to set corporate targets.
- Developed platform to detect and triangulate hazardous air pollutants and greenhouse gases to facilitate rapid interventions.
- Using advanced technologies to capture greenhouse gases, primarily methane and carbon dioxide.
Society & Stakeholders
We have committed to and formalized employee development policies that support diversity, inclusion, fairness and equality, and promote creativity and innovation through various leadership and talent management programs. Montrose is fully aligned with the UN’s goal to achieve equal pay for work of equal value by 2030, and will focus on reducing inequalities within Montrose. All our employee engagement and diversity, fairness & inclusion efforts would be for naught if we do not protect the safety of our valuable employees – the safety of our team and clients is paramount to Montrose’s business practices.
Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages:
- Assigned 12,599 training courses to 1,075 employees, resulting in ~5,000 hours of staff safety training in 2019.
- 2019 National Safety Council Industry Leader Awards for Outstanding Safety and Occupational Excellence Achievement.
- Formed COVID-19 Task Force comprised of senior leadership to protect and ensure the physical, financial and mental well-being of Montrose employees.
- COVID-related measures for our employees covered include: additional paid time off, expanded work-from-home flexibility and policies, COVID testing coverage as part of insurance benefits, heightened quarantine procedures and office sanitization procedures, and updates from leading toxicologists at CTEH.
Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all:
- Launched efforts to cultivate and develop top talent, including emerging leaders program, as well as our women’s mentorship program.
- Established The Montrose Community Foundation, a non-profit organization, to facilitate employees and Board members supporting fellow employees in need.
Reduce inequality within and among countries:
- Commitment to increase retention and upward mobility of women leaders through WeLEAD, our Women’s Leadership Group.
- Formed Diversity, Fairness & Inclusion task force to improve diversity and equity within Montrose.
- Industry-leading Equal Employment Opportunity program to recruit, hire, train and promote equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by law.
Governance, Innovation & Infrastructure
We at Montrose believe that the key to achieving many of the UN SDGs is by developing innovative infrastructural solutions that support environmental sustainability and economic development that are capital-efficient. This is why we invest heavily in emerging technologies and R&D to finding long-term solutions to both environmental and economic challenges, and our governance structure reinforces our focus with direct Board-level oversight and input into these areas of focus.
Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation:
- Direct Board oversight of ethics, integrity and corporate governance.
- $0 lost as a result of legal proceedings associated with professional integrity.
- GDPR-compliant cybersecurity program based on NIST 800-171 Framework implemented by internal IT governance overseen by the Board of Directors.
- Employee policies based on NIST 800-171 enforced to prohibit data sharing outside the network: no data breaches or vulnerabilities identified by third-party cybersecurity audits in 2020.
- Scientific Advisory Board oversight of new technologies to aid clients’ and Montrose’s own environmental sustainability.
- Developing and implementing mitigation devices to be used on current practices like coal combustion, methane infrastructure, drilling and fracking to positively impact the environment.
- Cutting-edge R&D program focusing on new technologies to capture Hazardous Air Pollutants (“HAPS”), PFAS, and GHG molecules, as well as to detect and abate targeted HAPS safely and cost effectively.
- Exploring sensors and new technologies to detect and abate targeted HAPS safely and cost effectively.
- Member to over 60 industry associations to partner in making a positive impact on the planet.