The ultimate goal of this remediation project was to support the civilian development of more than 400 acres of waterfront San Francisco real estate. Montrose Environmental professionals set up systems and operated an onsite laboratory to measure, by gamma spectroscopy, contaminated soil for the presence of 11 key isotopic indicators of nuclear fission contamination. The lab was accredited to Department of Defense standards, generating more than 10,000 traceable and legally defensible measurements of soil samples over three years of operation. The laboratory allowed the remediation team to efficiently and effectively clear more than 50 contaminated sites and return them to productive civilian use.
- Laboratory configuration, data system, and process design
- Laboratory staffing and training
- Test and measurement quality assurance
- Test and measurement consultation with remedial contractors and Navy personnel
- Laboratory operations, accreditation, project management